This article explains how you, as a Broker, can move an existing Employer from one Broker Agency to another using Agency Transfer. This option has a mandatory five business day waiting period to complete unless expedited by the outgoing Broker.
An authorized representative at an Employer can also initiate a transfer by completing the online Agency Transfer form.
IN THIS ARTICLE
Agency Transfer notifications for Brokers to turn on
We recommend you turn on specific notifications related to Agency Transfers Broker accounts. This ensures that any transfer-related activity is sent out to the correct parties in a timely manner.
To access your notifications, select your name on the top right-hand side of the screen. Then, select Profile & Settings.
Under Transfers, ensure that the following notifications are checked on:
- An Employer transfers to a different Broker: This informs the outgoing Broker if an Employer is leaving their book of business. This includes the Expedite link that can be selected if the outgoing Broker wants to waive the mandatory waiting period.
- An Employer transfers to my brokerage: This informs the new Broker that an Employer will be moving to their Agency after the mandatory waiting period has ended. It also states that the authorized representative at the Employer must select the Confirm Transfer link for the transfer to be complete.
- My company's Agency Transfer is canceled: This informs both the outgoing and the new Brokers that an Agency Transfer has either been canceled or has expired due to the fact that the authorized representative didn't select the Confirm Transfer link to confirm the transfer.
- My company's Agency Transfer is complete: This informs both the outgoing and the new Brokers that an Agency Transfer is complete, and the Employer has been moved to a new Agency.
If any of these notifications are turned off (meaning there isn't a checkmark listed), we can’t send notifications to a Broker when these actions occur.
How to start the Automated Agency Transfer
When a Broker uses the Automated Agency Transfer option, the Broker will need to initiate the transfer in their Broker account. Then, the authorized representative at the Employer must confirm the transfer request via email.
This automated process takes up to five business days to complete unless expedited by the outgoing Broker. As the new Broker, you can initiate the transfer by following these steps:
- Select Agency Transfers in the left-hand navigation to expand a menu, and then select Transfer Request to access the Client Transfer page.
- Enter the Employer’s Tax ID Number or Employer Code.
- Once you entered one of the items listed above, select Initiate Client Transfer.
- You'll be prompted to confirm the name of the Employer, contact name and email are correct. If so, select Yes to proceed.
If the contact information shown is not correct, or you receive a message that there aren't any Employees listed in the Employer, then you must have the authorized representative at the Employer fill out the online Agency Transfer form.
Once the transfer process starts, we will send out notifications to the following individuals:
- Notice of Transfer email to the outgoing Broker, informing them this Employer will be leaving their book of business. This notice also contains the ability for the outgoing Broker to bypass the mandatory waiting period in order for the new Broker Agency to gain access to the Employer.
- Confirmation email to the authorized representative listed in the pop-up message for the Employer, giving them instructions on how to confirm the transfer – The transfer will expire if the authorized representative does not confirm the transfer!
- Notice of Transfer email to you as the new Broker, stating that this Employer will be moving into your book of business after confirmation by the authorized representative at the Employer.
NOTE: The Employer won't transfer unless the authorized representative selects the Confirm Transfer link in the Confirmation email.
Notification sent to the outgoing Broker
Once approved, the transfer will be completed in five business days. This mandatory waiting period, applied only to transfers completed through the Automated Agency Transfer option, provides all parties (the outgoing Broker, the authorized representative at the Employer, and you as the new Broker) with enough time to confirm or expedite the transfer as well as protecting the information of both the Employer and Employees.
Although we understand requesting Brokers may want immediate action, this waiting period cannot be bypassed unless the outgoing Broker expedites the transfer by selecting the associated link in the email notification as shown below.
If the outgoing Broker doesn't need time to tie up any loose ends, they can select the Expedite button, which gives the option to expedite or decline.
If expedited, the transfer is effective immediately after the authorized representative at the Employer has selected the Confirm Transfer link.
Agency Transfer notifications for HR Managers to turn on
There are a few notifications related to Agency Transfers that HR Managers can enable in their HR Manager accounts. This ensures that any transfer-related activity is sent out to the correct parties in a timely manner.
NOTE: The authorized representative does not need to have an HR Manager account to complete the Online Agency Transfer Form. The Confirmation email will still be sent to them so they can confirm the transfer.
To access notifications, HR Managers will need to be logged into their accounts. Then, select Account Settings.
Under Email Notifications Preferences, ensure that HR Managers have the following notifications checked on:
- My company transfers to a new broker: This notification informs the HR Manager that an Agency Transfer was processed. This does NOT include the Confirmation link. This notification states that a Confirmation email will be sent separately and included is the email address that the Confirmation email was sent.
- My company's Agency Transfer is canceled: This notification informs the HR Manager that the transfer has either been canceled or has expired due to the fact that the authorized representative didn't select the Confirm Transfer link to confirm the transfer.
- My company's Agency Transfer is complete: This notification informs the HR Manager that an Agency Transfer is complete, and the company has been moved to a new Agency.
If any of these notifications are turned off (meaning there isn't a checkmark listed) then we can’t send notifications to an HR Manager when these actions occur!
Confirmation email sent to the authorized representative
It's very important to note that an Agency Transfer WON'T transfer if the authorized representative doesn't select the Confirm Transfer link. This link is contained within the Confirmation email that is automatically sent directly to the person listed as the Employer’s authorized representative.
Important pages to review for a new Employer
Once the Employer is in your book of business, we recommend reviewing the following pages to ensure all information is up-to-date and accurate for the work you’ll be doing for this Employer:
- Client Details: Make sure that the Employer Information, workflow dates, and coverage lines are correct and current. Also, add yourself as Team Member 1 in Broker Set up. You’ll need to select Save for any changes or updates you make to take effect.
- Employee List: Review the list of Employees and add new hires.
- Manage Forms: See what Carrier forms were assigned the last time and update or add for the Carriers that you’ll be quoting or enrolling the Employer in.
- Manage Plans: See what plans were already assigned to the Employer and make the necessary changes.
- Manage Documents: See what items were added to this area. Then, add or request documents that you need for this Employer.
After this review and after you’ve updated your new Employer, you can then welcome the Employees and the authorized representative back using Employer Communications.