There may be times where Employers need to terminate coverage for Employees. Brokers and HR Managers can use our platform to populate the necessary termination paperwork.
IN THIS ARTICLE
Turn on notifications
For Brokers, we recommend first checking your notifications settings to verify that you’re informed of any terminations or Qualifying Life Event changes to an Employee’s account. This step only needs to be completed once.
You’ll need to select your name on the top right-hand side of your screen and select Profile.
Select the 'Manage Notifications' button to access notifications.
Scroll down until you see the Employee notification section. The items that will be extremely beneficial to you and to your team for changes and terminations will be An Employee is terminated and Qualifying Life Event Change Notification.
Make sure to add a checkmark in the box by the specific notification and save. As changes and terminations occur, you’ll receive emails about the action from email@example.com.
Next, you should confirm with the HR Manager the following items:
- Name of the terminated Employee
- Date that they were terminated
- Reason for termination
- If they were enrolled in medical benefits for at least 3 months
Once you’ve discussed this with the HR Manager, you can start the termination process. Repeat this step for each Employee that is being terminated.
Terminate the Employee
To terminate an Employee, the Employee must have an Employee account. If the Employee has an account, follow these steps to access user administration where you will have the option to terminate their account:
- Go to the Employer Listing.
- Locate the Employee’s Employer and select the ‘Edit’ button to access the Employer Hub.
- In the Employer Hub, locate the Employees section and select the ‘View’ option to access the Employee Listing.
- NOTE: To access this option, the Employer must have at least one open Proposal, and the Medical Health Questionnaire turned on. See this article for more information.
- In the Employee Listing, locate the Employee you want to terminate and select the “Edit” button to access the Employee Hub.
- NOTE: The ‘Edit’ button will only show if the Employee has created an Employee account.
- In the Employee Hub, select the ‘Administer User’ option to access the User Details page.
On the User Details page, select the ‘Terminate’ button.
The options on the page will change, and you will want to ask yourself the following questions:
- When was the Employee terminated?
- Enter the Termination Date
- What was the reason for the Employee’s termination?
- Select the Termination Type
- Would you like to set the Employees Benefit Status to COBRA/State Continuation?
- Optionally check the Set the employee’s Benefit Status to COBRA/State Continuation box or leave it blank depending on your answer
- Was the employee enrolled in benefits for 3 months prior to their termination?
- Optionally check the Enrolled in medical benefits 3 months before termination box or leave it blank depending on your answer
Once you’ve updated the appropriate fields, save to complete the termination process.